Tuesday 17 May 2016

Showreel

So it's finally time to review my work over the duration of the course and add my best assets into one showreel...

There was a period between the end of second year and my dissertation hand in where I didn't animate much, so I don't have as much to show for myself as a third year as I'd have liked. However after a few talks with my tutor it was clear that less is more - his main advice was to only put work that you're definitely happy with, even if it means your showreel is only 20-30 seconds long.

This makes sense, since if you have loads of work you're not completely proud of in there then potential employers will see that too.

The only difference between these showreels is a 2 second clip I initially put in. The Propercorn advert I collaborated on with Cara Lambert at the time was some of my best work, but my drawing skills have developed since then. At first I felt I needed more than 3 animations to show off my skills, however I think this two second clip sticks out compared to the rest. If I had more shorter clips in, like in my previous showreel, then the propercorn clip would work better, but taking my tutors advice "less is more" is a better option to show off my best work.

In comparison to my 2015 showreel, I think overall I prefer the tempo of the first reel; some of the work in it is not at a high standard, however with the changing clips and music to go with it, it made the film to the point and easier to watch. Despite this I'm happy with the showreel I have for now - I intend to finish off those works and create some more short animations in the next couple of months, so I can update it when I see fit and as I apply to jobs.









No comments:

Post a Comment