Thursday 12 May 2016

Practical - Starting the Animation

For my practical piece, I want to refresh my memory in Maya and animating a walk cycle, and I thought the best opportunity to do this would be for Loop De Loops theme of the month 'Tumble'.

At first I considered getting a couple of my classmates to design characters for me to animate in different styles - this would have been performed with 2D animation, which is my most comfortable technique to use; However I thought trying out 3D software again would be good practice for me.

There are a few rigs that I have wanted to try out for a while, but never got around to it. So far working with Morpheus has been pretty smooth (apart from his breaking knees), the rig is easy to control with a number of joints and a few more capabilities then Moom...

I wanted to try an exaggerated walk cycle to create an upbeat, overconfident character, so I created this initial test. I am happy with how it's turned out, however I think I could exaggerate the poses even more, to create a more lively performance.




I thought the animation would be funny if he tripped over a bump in the road, and went to carry on walking to then fall over; however this first test looks strange in that he moves his leg forward as if to take another step, and then moves his leg back as he falls over.



I like that he falls flat on his face, but I will edit the movement so that he falls over straight away, rather than delaying it and moving him forwards.



No comments:

Post a Comment