Monday 11 April 2016

Loop De Loop

As a practical piece of animation I'd like to do, I think Loop De Loop is a good competition to enter since the themes are usually quite vague and they accept any type of animation, at any length, as long as it loops. It will also be seen by a variety of people, and the best entries will also be screened in Australia!

Since a new theme is usually released every two months, that leaves room for flexibility in scheduling when to animate a piece for it, which is ideal for me since these next two months will be dedicated to finishing my final project for Extended Practice.

The latest theme is 'Tumble'; There's lots of different ways to interpret the word 'tumble', including tumble weeds, an object rolling along, or even a gymnast performing a routine. This theme was decided in February, however since their website is under development right now it seems they are busy with getting that up and running, since the theme hasn't been changed since then; I'd like to animate for this theme anyway, since it will be a good opportunity for me to practice the basics of animation again.


The way I'd like to interpret it is a person falling over as they're walking or running - I think it could create a simple yet comedic animation that would allow me to practice a run cycle (or various ones). I could either use 2D or 3D to animate this idea.

If I use 2D, then I'd have to create a character for it - since a few of my classmates enjoy character designing I want to ask them if they could create one for me. In doing this I can practice animating and drawing in different styles, as well as considering the character's personality to determine what type of walk or run they'd have. Having a variety of these walk cycles would be good for my showreel, since I would be able to demonstrate the different animation styles I can animate, as well as portraying the personality traits of each.

My main inspiration for this is this showreel from Tomas Jech, an animator who's showreel demonstrates the same character being animated in various ways. The quality of animation is very good, and showing this one character in a variety of ways allows him to demonstrate his skills in this particular style. 


Walk Cycles from Tomas Jech on Vimeo.

I'm excited to develop this idea and see what kind of characters I will be able to animate!


No comments:

Post a Comment